Thank you for visiting the BioNJ Web site.
Founded in 1994, BioNJ has been hard at work in its mission to enhance the climate for life sciences in the State. As the representative of an industry that has the potential to change the course of human health, make our environment cleaner and the foods we eat safer and healthier, BioNJ is single-minded in its commitment to the growth and prosperity of this industry within the state of New Jersey.
It has been an exciting time for the life sciences industry and for BioNJ, and it is with pride and commitment to the future that we highlight some of the important developments in the public policy, education, networking and Member services that are helping to foster the growth and prosperity of this important industry:
- BioNJ worked with BIO and U.S. Senator Robert Menedez to develop the Therapeutic Discovery Project Credit which was included in the Health Care Reform bill to deliver $1 Billion to the industry in response to the economic crisis.
- BioNJ has worked and continues to work in concert with the Biotechnology Industry Organization on such important federal issues as biosimilars, the Patient Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA), the Jobs Act and Medicare Parts B and D.
- BioNJ conceived of and advocated successfully for the Technology Business Tax Certificate Transfer Program, which gives biotech companies much needed cash. Since the program’s 1999 start, BioNJ has also made the case successfully for important changes that have made the program increasingly valuable to industry companies. Currently, up to $60 million is made available annually for biotech companies that qualify for the program. It has been estimated by BioNJ, the New Jersey Economic Development Authority and the New Jersey Institute of Technology that for every dollar the state invests in this program, 15 dollars of venture capital, collaborative research and government grants is generated for the biotechnology industry.
- Working collaboratively with State government, BioNJ proposed and supported the establishment of the Garden State Life Sciences Fund, a $40 million fund that has invested in NJ biotechnology companies.
- The Business Retention and Relocation Assistance Grant (BRRAG) program, which encourages companies to remain or relocate in NJ and rewards them with grants based on a percentage of payroll taxes, was established in concert with BioNJ.
- BioNJ supported the passing of the Angel Investor Tax Credit, which provides tax credits for angel investors equaling up to 10% of the investment
- The NJ Economic Opportunity Act was passed with support and input from BioNJ. It merges five economic development incentives into two programs to streamline the ability of the state to encourage economic development.
Education and Networking:
- BioNJ continues to bring the industry together at a variety of important gatherings throughout the year, including our BioPartnering Conference, Patient Advocacy Summit and Beyond Value Frameworks: Defining the Value of Medical Innovation Workshop.
- Our 26th Annual Dinner Meeting and Innovation Celebration was held on February 7, 2019. Highlights included the presentation of the Dr. Sol J. Barer Award for Vision, Innovation and Leadership to William N. Hait, M.D., Ph.D., Global Head, Johnson & Johnson, External Innovation. Click here for the photo gallery.
- The Seventh Annual C-Suite Summit was held on November 8, 2019 at the Bridgewater Marriott.
- BioNJ continues to present a series of member forums directed to chief financial officers, business development executives and human resource administrators to facilitate professional growth and interaction.
- BioNJ Members saved more than $8.5 million in 2018 on Fisher Scientific lab supplies and other items through an innovative Purchasing Consortium.
- BioNJ recently announced a new Health Benefits Plan taking affect in 2019.
- BioNJ Members also benefit from member discounts with UPS and Office Depot.
- Through our Joint Benefits Agreement with BIO, in addition to discounts on Directors and Officers (D&O) and Employment Practices Liability (EPL) Insurance, BioNJ offers discounts on office supplies, furniture and equipment, computer and technology products, news distribution, gene sequencing devices and moving and storage.
- The BioNJ Talent Services Network connects New Jersey’s professionals with careers in pharma, biotech, medical device technology, clinical operations and medical diagnostics. BioNJ also supports employers with talent acquisition & recruitment, talent pipeline development and business outreach.
- BioNJ is a leader in a number of workforce solution initiatives taking place throughout the State including: networking and career events, present career strategy workshops to job seekers, provide a website where companies can obtain assistance with sourcing local candidates for openings, facilitate connections to hiring incentives and training grant programs and regularly invite employers to contribute their perspectives on industry trends.